Thursday 17 September 1953
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Look At That Girl by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
Mogambo, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Beyond This Place by A.J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1953.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1953!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1953 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Tamasin Day-Lewis: English chef and author.
- Altaf Hussain: Pakistani-English soldier and politician.
- Rita Rudner: American actress and screenwriter.
- Steve Williams: Welsh drummer and songwriter (Budgie).
- Morgan White: American trivia buff who calls himself the "Trivia King," White makes 300 appearances a year in nightclubs, corporate parties and radio talk show that demonstrate his amazing ability to amass an astonishing amount of useless, arcane information.
- 1st successful separation of Siamese twins
- Ernie Banks becomes Chicago Cubs 1st black player
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?