Thursday 21 October 1948
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Red Shoes, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 1948!
Which were the important events of 21 October 1948 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
- Shaye Cohen: Historian and Professor at Harvard University.
- Tom Everett: American actor and singer.
- Allen Vigneron: American Catholic Archbishop of Detroit.
- Moses J "Moss" Mayekiso: South African union / SACP-leader.
- Beersheba liberated by Israeli army
- Dutch Constellation crashes at Prestwick Scotland (40 murder)
- UN reject Russian proposal to destroy atomic weapons
- Facsimile high-speed radio transmission demonstrated (Washington DC).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Say Something Sweet to Your Sweetheart - Jo Stafford & Gordon MacRae
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 21 October 1948 and get them!