Saturday 21 October 2006
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to SexyBack by Justin Timberlake.
In UK America by Razorlight was in the top 5 hits.
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, directed by Tom Tykwer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while State of Denial by Bob Woodward was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2006.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 2006!
Which were the important events of 21 October 2006 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 21 October
- Sandy West: American singer-songwriter and drummer (The Runaways) (d. 2006).
- President Yoweri Museveni of Uganda meets rebels of the Lord's Resistance Army for the first time in an attempt to revive the Juba talks. (BBC)
- Dariga Nazarbayeva, daughter of Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev, says it is time for Kazakhstan to ampquotstop behaving like an obedient colony that bows to a foreign gentleman,ampquot referring to Lakshmi Mittal of Arcelor Mittal, ampquotwhose name appears on the ''Forbes'' magazine list.ampquot (RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty)
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.2 hits the central Philippines. The quake struck at 10:30 p.m. with its epicenter some 35 kilometers south of Boac, Marinduque. The temblor was felt at intensity 4 in the capital Manila. (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Iraqi insurgency:
- Mortar fire on a crowded outdoor market in Mahmoudiyah south of Baghdad kills at least 18 people and injures dozens, police say. (Boston Herald)
- Three U.S. Marines are killed in combat in Anbar province, making October the deadliest month for American forces in Iraq in 2006. (Boston Herald)
- Senior U.S. Department of State diplomat Alberto Fernandez says on Al-Jazeera that the United States had shown ampquotarroganceampquot and ampquotstupidityampquot in Iraq but was ready to talk with any group except Al-Qaida in Iraq to facilitate national reconciliation. (AP via Southern Illinoisan)
- Fighting has broken out between Somalian troops and a local militia in alliance with the country's new Islamic movement. (Reuters)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?