Wednesday 22 February 1950
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ellen Greene in Brooklyn and Sylvette Miou-Miou.
Stage Fright, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Parasites by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Your Show of Shows.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 February 1950!
Which were the important events of 22 February 1950 ?
- Blessed Saint Isabel of France (+1270)
- United States - Washington's Birthday (traditionally).
- Ash Wednesday in 2023.
- Saint Lucia - independence (1979).
- The Scouting movement celebrates this day as "B.-P. day" or "Founder's Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts celebrates this day as "Thinking Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell, and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter.
- Ellen Greene in Brooklyn: New York, USA; singer/actress (Little Shoppe of Horrors, One Fine Day).
- Sylvette Miou-Miou: Paris, France -- Actress (Bottom Line, Menage).
- Julius Erving: American basketball player, known popularly as "Dr. J." He played in the ABA with the Virginia Squires (1971–1973) and New York Nets (1973–1976), and in the NBA with the Philadelphia 76ers (1976–1987).
- Lenny Kuhr: Dutch singer-songwriter.
- Miou-Miou : French actress, best known for her roles in "La Dérobade" and "César".
- Julie Walters: British actress who won acclaim for her performance in "Educating Rita" winning a Tony Award for the stage performance. Walters had completed nursing studies that she abandoned for acting in 1973. Performing widely throughout England, she mainly appeared on stage as a comedian and a singer-dancer.
- Genesis P-Orridge: English singer-songwriter (Psychic TV Thee Majesty Pigface and Splinter Test)
- Brockway and Weinstock publish Men of Music (rev ed)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Anton Karas - The Third Man Theme
- My Foolish Heart - Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?