Monday 24 December 1962, Christmas Eve
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michael Ray and Hezekiah Walker.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Telstar by The Tornadoes.
In UK Return To Sender by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Days of Wine and Roses, directed by Blake Edwards, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1962.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1962!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1962 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Michael Ray: Rocker.
- Hezekiah Walker: Gospel Singer.
- Kate Spade: Fashion Designer.
- Darren Wharton: English singer-songwriter and keyboard player (Thin Lizzy and Dare).
- Cuba releases the last 1,113 participants in the Bay of Pigs Invasion to the U.S., in exchange for food worth $53 million.
- United Nations troops occupy the last rebel positions in Katanga Moise Tshombe moves to South Rhodesia.
- An unexpected storm buries Maine under five feet of snow, forcing the Bangor Daily News to miss a publication date for the only time in history. The same day, also the Netherlands are covered with several feet of snow.
- American advertising man Martin K. Speckter invents the interrobang, a new English-language punctuation mark.
- Publication of Helen Gurley Brown's ''Sex and the Single Girl'' in the US.
- The band The Dubliners is formed at O'Donoghue's Pub in Dublin.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Tornadoes - Telstar
- Chubby Checker - Limbo Rock
- Marcie Blane - Bobby's Girl
- Steve Lawrence - Go Away Little Girl
- The 4 Seasons - Big Girls Don't Cry
- Elvis Presley - Return To Sender
- Ray Charles - You Are My Sunshine
- Esther Phillips Little Esther - Release Me
- Bob B. Soxx And The Blue Jeans - Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah
- Brook Benton - Hotel Happiness
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?