Monday 25 May 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Cathryn Harrison and Julian Clary.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Kansas City by Wilbert Harrison.
In UK A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
They Came to Cordura, directed by Robert Rossen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 May 1959!
Which were the important events of 25 May 1959 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Urbanas Diena observed
- Saint Reinolf
- Saint Marie-Madeleine-Sofie Barat (died 1865)
- Virginia - Confederate Memorial Day (1868)
- Argentina - Day of May Revolution/National Day (1810)
- Towel Day, in memory of Douglas Adams, is observed in ?
- The Ascension, one of the great feasts in the Christian liturgical calendar
- Saint Bede the Venerable (died 735)
- Saint Frederic
- Saint Augustine of Canterbury
- Saint Bruno of Wnrzburg
- The former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia - Day of Youth
- Saint Hildebert
- Chad, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe - African Liberation Day
- Officially declared Carrie Underwood Day in Oklahoma for her winning American Idol
- Jordan - National Day/Arab Renaissance Day (1946)
- Africa Day commemorating the 1963 fouding of he AU's precursor, OAU
- United States - Memorial Day/Decoration Day, a legal holiday (1868)
- Lebanon, Liberation Day (1999)
- Saint Pope Gregory VII (died 1085)
- Cathryn Harrison: London, England -- Actress (Old Woman in Black Moon).
- Julian Clary: British comedian, film actor, and TV host, best known for his camp television comporting in outrageous costumes and his endless stream of sexual double entendres and puns.
- Randy Brown: American minor actor, a few film and model print jobs, no big break as of 1985.
- Manolis Kefalogiannis: Greek politician.
- Rick Wamsley: Canadian ice hockey player and coach.
- Khrushchev visits Angola
- Supreme ct rules La prohibiting black-white boxing unconstitutional
- US Supreme Court rules that Louisiana prohibiting black-white boxing is unconstitutional.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- Dion and the Belmonts - A Teenager In Love
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- Franck Pourcel's French Fiddles - Only You
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?