Saturday 16 May 1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bob Patterson in Jacksonville and Ty Armstrong in Waxahachie.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to The Happy Organ by Dave Baby Cortez.
In UK A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 May 1959!
Which were the important events of 16 May 1959 ?
- Saint HonorT of Amiens
- Saint Andrew Bobola
- Saint Ubaldus
- Adelaide Cup day - South Australia (2005).
- Saint Simon Stock
- Saint John Nepomuk or John Nepomucene (1330 - 1393)
- Saint Brendan the Navigator - also in the Irish Calendar.
- Teacher's Day in Malaysia.
- Bob Patterson in Jacksonville: Florida, USA; pitcher (Chicago Cubs).
- Ty Armstrong in Waxahachie: Texas, USA; Nike golfer (1993 Anheuser-Busch-19th).
- Mare Winningham in Phoenix: Arizona, USA; actress (Saint Elmo's Fire, Turner and Hooch).
- Mitch Webster: American baseball player.
- Mare Winningham: American actress and singer-songwriter.
- WTOM TV channel 4 in Cheboygan, MI (NBC) begins broadcasting
- 85th Preakness: William Harmatz aboard Royal Orbit wins in 1:57.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?