Thursday 30 July 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, directed by Stephen Sommers, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Glenn Beck's Common Sense by Glenn Beck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 July 2009!
Which were the important events of 30 July 2009 ?
- Vanuatu - Independence Day
- St. Julitta (a martyr)
- St. Sennen
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Abdon
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 30 July
- Peter Zadek: German theatre and film director, play translator and screenwriter, regarded as one of the greatest directors in German-speaking theater.
- 70,000 people are evacuated from Bryan, TX, USA, after ammonium nitrate is released during a fire at the El Dorado Chemical Company warehouse there. (AP via google)
- Palmanova bombing
- At least two people are killed in a car bomb explosion at a Guardia Civil barracks in Palma Nova on the Spanish island of Mallorca. (''Straits Times'')
- Travel chaos ensues as police order the closure of all airports and ports to prevent the culprits escaping. (''Daily Mail'')
- Albania's Prime Minister Sali Berisha indicates he may legalise gay marriage in the country. (''Straits Times'')
- 2009 Nigeria religious violence
- Nigerian forces attack a mosque used by the militant Islamist Boko Haram group. (''The Times'')
- Boko Haram Islamist sect leader Ustaz Mohammed Yusuf is shot and killed in Nigeria. (''The Times'')
- The United States Coast Guard calls off its search for as many as 79 Haitians missing after their boat capsized near the Turks and Caicos Islands with two hundred people onboard. (CNN)
- Iranian police clash with mourners at a Tehranian cemetery for a memorial to those killed in post-election violence, using teargas to disperse crowds from the grave of Neda Agha-Soltan and forcing Opposition leader Mir-Hossein Mousavi to make his exit. (RTÉ)
- Cook Islands Prime Minister Jim Marurai fires Foreign Minister Wilkie Rasmussen, accusing him of plotting to topple the government. (RNZI)
- A South Korean fishing boat is towed away by a North Korean patrol boat. (RTÉ)
- Moldovan President Vladimir Voronin says he is ready for dialogue ampquotwith all political forces represented in the new parliamentampquot. (RTÉ)
- Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd promises to create 50,000 green jobs and apprenticeships to combat climate change and unemployment simultaneously. (''Straits Times'')
- U.S. President Barack Obama arranged a meeting with police officer Sgt. James Crowley and African American public intellectual Henry Louis Gates at the White House in a bid to quell a dispute over racial profiling that arose from an altercation between the two of them. (AP via ''New York Times'')
- Referendum Commission research indicates a significant increase in the level of understanding of the Treaty of Lisbon among Irish voters. (RTÉ)
- Islamist militants kill at least 15 Algerian soldiers and injure 20 others in an ambush outside Tipaza. (BBC)
- 8 people are killed and 10 are injured in a bomb attack on the offices of a Sunni political party, Kitab Sultan, in Diyala Governorate. (''Straits Times'')
- Multiple sclerosis sufferer Debbie Purdy wins a ampquotlandmark victoryampquot in the House of Lords in her fight to allow her husband to help her commit suicide abroad. (Sky News)
- Iraq's government admit that seven Iranian exiles were killed when Iraqi forces took control of their camp north of Baghdad. (Reuters)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
- The Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
- Best I Ever Had - Drake
- Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me
- Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
- Keri Hilson - Knock You Down
- Birthday Sex - Jeremih
- Lady GaGa - LoveGame
- Sean Kingston - Fire Burning
- Katy Perry - Waking Up In Vegas
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?