Wednesday 1 July 1953
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Henry Percy and Catherine Ferry.
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
Stalag 17, directed by Billy Wilder, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Kingfishers Catch Fire by Rumer Godden was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Billy Bean and His Funny Machine.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1953!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1953 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Henry Percy: 11th Duke of Northumberland, godchild of Elizabeth II.
- Catherine Ferry: French singer, she finished 2nd at the Eurovision song contest in 1976, interpreting "1,2,3".
- Lawrence Gonzi: Maltese lawyer and politician 12th Prime Minister of Malta.
- Jadranka Kosor: Croatian journalist and politician 9th Prime Minister of Croatia.
- KLAS TV channel 8 in Las Vegas, NV (CBS) begins broadcasting
- KTVH (now KWCH) TV channel 12 in Hutchinson-Wichita, KS (CBS) begins
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?