Thursday 23 July 1953
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Claude Barzotti and Leonardo Ferragamo.
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The War of the Worlds, directed by Byron Haskin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while A Man Called Peter by Catherine Marshall was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Quatermass Experiment.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 July 1953!
Which were the important events of 23 July 1953 ?
- Egypt - Revolution Day (1952)
- St. Liborius
- Catholic - the feasts of at least 2 saints: St. Apollinaris
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the birthday of Haile Selassie
- Roman Empire - Neptunalia held in honor of Neptune
- Libya - Revolution Day
- Papua New Guinea - Remembrance Day
- Claude Barzotti: Belgian multilingual singer, best known for his rendition of the hit song, "Madame," in 1980.
- Leonardo Ferragamo: Italian noted family, the fifth child and second son of Salvatore and Wanda Ferragamo.
- Najib Razak: Politician.
- Graham Gooch: English cricketer and coach.
- Bob Hilton: American game show host and announcer.
- Howard Hawks's musical film ''Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'', starring Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell, is released by 20th Century Fox.
- Fidel Castro and his brother lead a disastrous assault on the Moncada Barracks, preliminary to the Cuban Revolution.
- The Short Creek Raid is carried out on a polygynous Mormon sect in Arizona.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1953 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?