Thursday 2 November 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jeffrey Alan Hoffman and Liesel Westermann.
Dead or Alive, directed by Elmer Clifton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 November 1944!
Which were the important events of 2 November 1944 ?
- Catholicism - All Souls Day (unless on a Sunday)
- Rastafari movement - The coronation of Haile Selassie (1930) celebrated
- USA - admission day (1889) of North Dakota and South Dakota as 39th and 40th states.
- Ancient Latvia - Dveselu Diena held
- Mexico and the United States - Day of the Dead (Spanish: El Dia de los Muertos), a Mexican and Mexican-American celebration of dead ancestors.
- Jeffrey Alan Hoffman: Brooklyn, New York -- PhD / Astronaut (STS 51-D, 35, 46, 61, 75).
- Liesel Westermann: German FR, discus thrower (1968 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Patrice Chereau: French director, actor and producer.
- Jeffrey A Hoffman in Brooklyn New York USA PhD/astronaut (STS 51-D 35 sk: 46).
- Patrice Chéreau: French screen actor, and opera, stage, and film director ("La Reine Margot"), considered to be the most talented director of his generation; awarded three Molière comparable to the American Oscars) in 1989, 1992 and 1996.
- Keith Emerson: British musician with more energy than one person can contain. He plays two electric guitars at once, plus the moog, piano and other sound devices. Emerson was a founding member of the superlative rock group "Emerson, Lake and Palmer," which played a debut on 8/25/1970 and made their first appearance in New York in May 1971.
- Michael Buffer: American ring announcer and actor
- Thomas Midgley: Jr.
- Auschwitz begins gassing inmates
- Canadian troops occupy Knokke
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1944 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Dance With A Dolly (With a Hole In Her Stocking) - Tony Pastor & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?