Thursday 9 November 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bill Hendon and Chitresh Das.
Dead or Alive, directed by Elmer Clifton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 November 1944!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 9 November 1944 ?
- Roman Catholicism - Dedication of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Cathedral of the Pope (memorial feast day)
- Also see November 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Cambodia - Independence Day (1953)
- Pakistan - Allama Iqbal Day (1877)
- Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.
- Europe - Inventor's Day - in honor of Hedy Lamarr's birthday
- United States - World Freedom Day, to commenerate the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
- Bill Hendon: (Rep-R-North Carolina, 1981-83, 85-87).
- Chitresh Das: Indian dancer and choreographer (d. 2015).
- Phil May: English singer-songwriter (The Pretty Things).
- Frank Marshall: American chess player and author (d. 1944).
- Red Cross wins Nobel peace prize
- Walcheren of Nazi troops purged
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1944 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Ella Fitzgerald & Ink Spots - I'm Making Believe
- Ella Fitzgerald & Ink Spots - Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall
- Dance with a Dolly (With a Hole in Her Stocking) - Russ Morgan & His Orchestra
- How Many Hearts Have You Broken? - Stan Kenton & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?