Saturday 11 November 1944, Veteran's Day
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Marie-France Stirbois and Lena Frazier.
Dead or Alive, directed by Elmer Clifton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1944!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 11 November 1944 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Marie-France Stirbois
- Lena Frazier: American contemporary artist and sculptress, successful in her field.
- Jennifer Bate: English organist.
- Chris Smither: American singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- Kemal Sunal: Turkish actor producer and screenwriter (d. 2000).
- Keith Barish: American businessman, a restaurateur and film/television producer.
- Jesse Colin Young in New York: USA; rocker (The Youngbloods - "Soul of a City Boy").
- New York Rangers set NHL record of 25 games without a win (0-21-4).
- Dr. jur. Erich Gostl, a member of the Waffen SS, is presented with the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, to recognise extreme battlefield bravery, after losing his face and eyes during the Battle of Normandy.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?