Saturday 5 March 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Paul Drayson and David Tibet.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to The Theme From A Summer Place by Percy Faith.
In UK Why by Anthony Newley was in the top 5 hits.
Can-Can, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Pony Express.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 March 1960!
Which were the important events of 5 March 1960 ?
- St Piran's Day - Cornwall's national day.
- Saint Theophile (d. 195)
- Saint Olivia (d. 308)
- Saint Gerarda
- Learn from Lei Feng Day in China.
- Feast of St. Kieran, patron of the Diocese of Ossory, in Irish calendar.
- Approximate beginning of month of j?ngzhT in Chinese calendar.
- Saint Adrian (died 308)
- Paul Drayson: Baron Drayson English businessman and politician Minister for Defence Equipment Support and Technology.
- David Tibet: English singer-songwriter (Current 93 and Death in June).
- Nick Launay: English record producer composer and recording engineer.
- Elvis Presley ends 2-year hitch in US Army
- Ice Dance Championship at Vancouver won by Denny and Jones (GRB)
- Ice Pairs Championship at Vancouver won by Wagner and Paul (CAN)
- Worlds Ladies Fig Skating Champions in Vancouver won by Carol E Heiss (USA)
- Cuban photographer Alberto Korda took his iconic photograph of Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara.
- Alister Hardy publicly announces his idea that ape-human divergence may have been due to a coastal phase, giving rise to the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis.
- Vietnam War: The United States announces that 3,500 American soldiers will be sent to Vietnam.
- The Canton of Geneva in Switzerland gives women the right to vote.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Percy Faith - The Theme From A Summer Place
- Jimmy Jones - Handy Man
- Jim Reeves - He'll Have To Go
- Mark Dinning - Teen Angel
- Jack Scott - What In The World's Come Over You
- Bobby Darin - Beyond The Sea
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- The Everly Brothers - Let It Be Me
- Dinah Washington - Baby (You've Got What It Takes)
- Bobby Rydell - Wild One
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?