Thursday 17 March 1960, St. Patrick's Day
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lee Ann Michelle and Vicki Lewis in Cincinnati.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to The Theme From A Summer Place by Percy Faith.
In UK Running Bear by Johnny Preston was in the top 5 hits.
The Cranes are Flying, directed by Mikhail Kalatozov, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while All The Day Long by Howard Spring was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Pony Express.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 1960!
Which were the important events of 17 March 1960 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
- Lee Ann Michelle: Surrey, England -- Playmate (Feb, 1979).
- Vicki Lewis in Cincinnati: Ohio, USA; actress (Beth - Newsradio).
- Pietro Scalia: Italian film editor who shared an Oscar with Joe Hutshing for Best Film Editing in 1992 for the movie, "JFK.
- Gian Signorini: Italian soccer player who came down with lateral sclerosis, a disease under investigation due to it's appearance commonly found among soccer players.
- Rebeca Arthur: American actress.
- Eisenhower forms anti-Castro-exile army under the CIA
- WSLA (now WAKA) TV channel 8 in Selma, AL (CBS) begins broadcasting
- US President Dwight Eisenhower forms anti-Castro-exile army under the US Central Intelligence Agency.
- U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the National Security Council directive on the anti-Cuban covert action program that will ultimately lead to the Bay of Pigs Invasion.
- Northwest Airlines Flight 710 crashes near Tell City, Indiana, killing all 63 on board.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Percy Faith - The Theme From A Summer Place
- Jim Reeves - He'll Have To Go
- Bobby Rydell - Wild One
- Jimmy Jones - Handy Man
- Jack Scott - What In The World's Come Over You
- Dinah Washington - Baby (You've Got What It Takes)
- Mark Dinning - Teen Angel
- Bobby Darin - Beyond The Sea
- Paul Anka - Puppy Love
- The Platters - Harbor Lights
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?