Wednesday 6 January 1960, Epiphany
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Nigella Lawson and Howie Long.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to El Paso by Marty Robbins.
In UK What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For? by Emile Ford & The Checkmates was in the top 5 hits.
A Summer Place, directed by Delmer Daves, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while The Lovely Ambition by Mary Ellen Chase was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Showtime.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 6 January 1960
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 January 1960!
Which were the important events of 6 January 1960 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- Nigella Lawson: English chef and writer.
- Howie Long: American football linemen, actor and TV sports commentator.
- Ulrike Mai
- Paul Azinger: American golfer, a member of the PGA Tour since turning pro in 1981.
- Paul William Azinger in Holyoke: Massachusetts, USA; PGA golfer (1987 Phoenix Open).
- Kari Jalonen: Finnish ice hockey player and coach.
- Andrea Thompson: American actress.
- Adrien Joveneau: Belgian media personality and producer at RTBF (Radio Télévision Belge de la Communauté Française, the public broadcasting organization of the French Community of Belgium, the southern, French-speaking part of Belgium).
- Eric Grothe: Sr.
- National Airlines Flight 2511 is destroyed in mid-air by a bomb, while en route from New York City to Miami.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
- Paul Anka - It's Time To Cry
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
- Steve Lawrence - Pretty Blue Eyes
- Jimmy Clanton - Go, Jimmy, Go
Top #10 R&B songs
- The Spacemen - The Clouds
- Fats Domino - Be My Guest
- Marv Johnson - You Got What It Takes
- The Drifters - Dance With Me
- Bill Black's Combo - Smokie - Part 2
- Lloyd Price and His Orchestra - Wont'cha Come Home
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Jackie Wilson - Talk That Talk
- Bobby Bland - I'll Take Care Of You
- Lloyd Price and His Orchestra - Come Into My Heart
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?