Saturday 9 January 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lisa Walters in Prince Rupert and David Peoples in Augusta.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to El Paso by Marty Robbins.
In UK What Do You Want? by Adam Faith was in the top 5 hits.
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail, directed by Akira Kurosawa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of the Terrible Ten.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1960!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1960 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Lisa Walters in Prince Rupert: British Columbia, Canada; LPGA golfer (Itoki Hawaiian-1992, 1993).
- David Peoples in Augusta: Maine, USA; Nike golfer (1991 Buick Southern Open).
- Lisa Walters: Canadian golfer.
- Elsie J Oxenham: British children's author (Born 1880).
- Building of Aswan dam in Egypt begins.
- President of Egypt Gamal Abdel Nasser opens construction on the Aswan Dam by detonating ten tons of dynamite to demolish twenty tons of granite on the east bank of the Nile.
- January 11 – Aswan High Dam construction begins in Egypt.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 January 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
- Paul Anka - It's Time To Cry
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
- Steve Lawrence - Pretty Blue Eyes
- Jimmy Clanton - Go, Jimmy, Go
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?