Saturday 9 January 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 9, 1960). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lisa Walters in Prince Rupert and David Peoples in Augusta.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to El Paso by Marty Robbins.
In UK What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For? by Emile Ford & The Checkmates was in the top 5 hits.
The Bridge, directed by Bernhard Wicki, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Ourselves to Know by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Shotgun Slade.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 January 1960
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1960!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1960 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Lisa Walters in Prince Rupert: British Columbia, Canada; LPGA golfer (Itoki Hawaiian-1992, 1993).
- David Peoples in Augusta: Maine, USA; Nike golfer (1991 Buick Southern Open).
- Lisa Walters: Canadian golfer.
- Elsie J Oxenham: British children's author (Born 1880).
- Building of Aswan dam in Egypt begins.
- President of Egypt Gamal Abdel Nasser opens construction on the Aswan Dam by detonating ten tons of dynamite to demolish twenty tons of granite on the east bank of the Nile.
- January 11 – Aswan High Dam construction begins in Egypt.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
- Paul Anka - It's Time To Cry
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
- Steve Lawrence - Pretty Blue Eyes
- Jimmy Clanton - Go, Jimmy, Go
Top #10 R&B songs
- The Spacemen - The Clouds
- Fats Domino - Be My Guest
- Marv Johnson - You Got What It Takes
- The Drifters - Dance With Me
- Smokie - Part 2 - Bill Black's Combo
- Lloyd Price and His Orchestra - Wont'cha Come Home
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Jackie Wilson - Talk That Talk
- Bobby Bland - I'll Take Care Of You
- Lloyd Price and His Orchestra - Come Into My Heart
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?