Thursday 8 September 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5.
Contagion, directed by Steven Soderbergh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The B.S. of A. with Brian Sack.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Army Attack or Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 September 2011!
Which were the important events of 8 September 2011 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 September
- North Caucasus insurgency/Ingushetia civil war:
- Six people are killed and at least three injured in a series of raids by Russian forces on suspected militants in the North Caucasus. (Monsters and Critics)
- Over 2,600 people are classified as missing in the North Caucasus. (''Interfax'')
- United States counterterrorism officials investigate reports of a potential terrorist threat against either New York City or Washington DC, linked to the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on Sunday. (''New York Times'')
- Unemployment in Australia is reported to have risen to 5.3% in August 2011. (Market Watch)
- 2011 Northeastern United States floods following Tropical Storm Lee:
- The National Weather Service issues flash flooding warnings for the states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maryland and Virginia. (AFP via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- More than 12 inches (30 cm) of rain falls in the region surrounding the capital of Harrisburg, causing heavy flooding and evacuations. (Reuters)
- 115,000 people are ordered to evacuate from the city of Wilkes-Barre and Kingston as flood waters threaten the levees along the Susquehanna River in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. (''The Times Leader'')
- Heavy rains and rockslides close the Schuylkill Expressway, a major artery into Philadelphia. (FOX Philly)
- Pennsylvania closes and evacuates the Pennsylvania Governor's Residence and the state government is suspended. (''Patriot-News'')
- The death toll in Japan from Typhoon Talas reaches 54, with 55 people still missing. (Kyodo via ''Japan Times'')
- A blackout in southern California, Arizona and Baja California in Mexico caused by the loss of the entire San Diego Gas Electric system leads to the closure of San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station and the loss of power to more than two million people. (AP via ''Arizona Star'')
- Tropical Storm Nate causes heavy rain on Mexico's Atlantic Ocean coast. (NHC)
- Secretary General Tuiloma Neroni Slade is reappointed to a second, three-year term as head of the Pacific Islands Forum. (''Fiji Times'')
- Up to 40,000 public sector workers gather in the Australian city of Sydney to protest a wages cap and job cuts in the 2011-12 budget proposed by the Government of the State of New South Wales. (''Daily Telegraph'')
- President of the United States Barack Obama delivers a speech to a joint session of both houses of Congress, putting forward a new job-creation plan entailing major spending initiatives and tax cuts. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- Former President of Vietnam Vo Chi Cong dies in Ho Chi Minh City at the age of 99. (AP via ''Hindustan Times'')
- In American football, the 2011 NFL season begins, with the Green Bay Packers playing the New Orleans Saints at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin with the Packers winning a shootout 42–34. (''The Sports Network'' via ''The Sacramento Bee'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 September 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?