Friday 9 November 1923
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Alice [Davis] Coachman and Dorothy Dandridge.
Chi to rei, directed by Kenji Mizoguchi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1923
while Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 November 1923!
Which were the important events of 9 November 1923 ?
- Roman Catholicism - Dedication of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Cathedral of the Pope (memorial feast day)
- Also see November 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Cambodia - Independence Day (1953)
- Pakistan - Allama Iqbal Day (1877)
- Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.
- Europe - Inventor's Day - in honor of Hedy Lamarr's birthday
- United States - World Freedom Day, to commenerate the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
- Alice [Davis] Coachman: Albany, Georgia -- High jumper (1948 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Dorothy Dandridge: Cleveland, Ohio -- Actress / singer / dancer (Porgy & Bess).
- Howard Brundage: American publisher, advertising executive.
- Alice Coachman: American high jumper (d. 2014).
- Elizabeth Hawley: American-Nepali journalist and historian.
- James Schuyler: American poet and author (d. 1991)
- In Munich, Germany, police and government troops crush the Beer Hall Putsch in Bavaria. The failed coup is the work of the Nazis.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1923 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Dreams of India - Benson Orchestra of Chicago
- Indiana Moon - Carl Fenton & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?