Thursday 10 February 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Peter Allen and Alain Lamassoure.
Passage to Marseille, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 10 February 1944 ?
- Catholicism - Saint Scholastica; World Marriage Day.
- Malta - St. Paul's Shipwreck day. Catholicism in Malta.
- Saint Silvanus
- Saint Charalampe
- Saint Austreberta
- Blessed Arnaud
- Blessed Hugo (d. 1164)
- Italy - National Memorial Day of the Exiles and Foibe to commemorate Italian Istrian and Dalmatian exiliee and Foibe massacres.
- Peter Allen: Australian singer-songwriter pianist and actor (d. 1992).
- Alain Lamassoure
- Frances Moore Lappe: American writer and activist.
- Gérard Feldzer
- Urpo Leppänen: Finnish politician, married three times, third wife is Cuban dancer.
- Miyoko Akaza: Japanese actress.
- Frank Keating: American lawyer and politician 25th Governor of Oklahoma.
- Rufus Reid: American bassist and composer (The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra).
- Vernor Vinge: American novelist.
- Jean-Daniel Cadinot: French photographer, director and producer of gay pornographic films.
- Frances Lappé: American social activist and prolific writer, whose first book “Diet for a Small Planet” (1971) gave rise to increased consciousness about food choices and their effects on a global scale.
- Eugene Michel Antoniadi: Greek astronomer (Born 1870).
- Belgium resistance fighter / Author Kamiel van Baelen arrested
- U-666 / U-545 / U-283 sink off Ireland
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- When They Ask About You - Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me - Duke Ellington & His Famous Orchestra
- Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me - Woody Herman & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?