Tuesday 22 February 1944
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jonathan Demme in Baldwin and E J Peaker in Tulsa.
Passage to Marseille, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 February 1944!
Which were the important events of 22 February 1944 ?
- Blessed Saint Isabel of France (+1270)
- United States - Washington's Birthday (traditionally).
- Ash Wednesday in 2023.
- Saint Lucia - independence (1979).
- The Scouting movement celebrates this day as "B.-P. day" or "Founder's Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts celebrates this day as "Thinking Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell, and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter.
- Jonathan Demme in Baldwin: New York, USA; actor/director (Caged Heat, Swing Shift).
- E J Peaker in Tulsa: Oklahoma, USA; actress (That's Life).
- Tom Okker: Dutch tennis champ from 1964-68.
- Robert Kardashian: Armenian-American lawyer (Born 1944).
- Jonathan Demme: American director producer and screenwriter.
- Christopher Meyer: English diplomat British Ambassador to the United States
- Kasturba Gandhi: Indian wife of Mahatma Gandhi (d. 1944).
- US 8th Air Force bombs Enschede, Arnhem and Nijmegen by mistake / 800+ die
- World War II: American aircraft mistakenly bomb the Dutch towns of Nijmegen, Arnhem, Enschede and Deventer, resulting in 800 dead in Nijmegen alone.
- United States Strategic Air Forces in Europe organized from the Eighth Air Force's strategic planning staff subsuming strategic planning for all US Army Air Forces in Europe and Africa.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- David Rose & His Orchestra - Holiday For Strings
- Mairzy Doats - Al Trace & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?