Friday 15 July 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
Friends with Benefits, directed by Will Gluck, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Walking in Circles.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Akane the Kunoichi or All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 July 2011!
Which were the important events of 15 July 2011 ?
- Saint Vladimir the Great's day (Eastern Orthodox; Roman Catholic)
- Confuflux (Discordianism)
- Saint Swithun's feast day (Anglican Church)
- Japan - Third day of Obon feast period
- Palermo, Sicily - Festival of Santa Rosalia
- Brunei - Birthday of the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam
- Botswana - President's Day
- Saint Donald's feast day
- Brazil - International Men's Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 15 July
- Indian troops report three deaths in Maidanpora, Kupwara, Kashmir. (BBC)
- International campaigners against the drone attacks, carried out by the United States in Pakistan, launch their attempt to have former CIA legal chief John A. Rizzo arrested and charged with the murders of hundreds of people after his admission in ''Newsweek'' that he approved attacks each month since 2004. (''The Guardian'')
- Soldiers, air force bombers and helicopter gunships begin a major offensive in south-eastern Turkey as the country's prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vows to seek vengeance on Kurdish rebels. (BBC)
- 2011 Syrian uprising: At least 14 people are killed in the latests attacks by regime forces on demonstrations in cities nationwide. More than 10,000 people are held in prisons by the regime. The demonstrations are reported to be among the largest yet in the ongoing effort to topple the government. (BBC)
- Europe's biggest lottery jackpot, £161 million (US$260 million), is scooped by a couple from Largs, Ayrshire, in Scotland. (BBC)
- 8 European banks fail stress tests that could leave them open to another financial crisis, while another 16 are in a ampquotdanger zoneampquot. (RTÉ)
- BBC journalists strike against layoffs being forced on them by the corporation. (BBC)
- BHP Billiton buys U.S. based petroleum company Petrohawk for $12 billion. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- News International phone hacking scandal:
- Rebekah Brooks resigns as chief executive of News International as a result of the News International phone hacking scandal. (''The Guardian'')
- UK prime minister David Cameron paid for his ampquotfriendampquot, the former ''News of the World'' editor Andy Coulson, to stay with him at his country residence of Chequers, two months after Coulson resigned as Cameron's media chief. Coulson has since been arrested for his part in the phone hacking scandal. (''The Guardian'')
- There are concerns over a donation believed to be at least £100,000 given by James Murdoch towards Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the United Kingdom last year Murdoch was then introduced to Benedict. (''The Guardian'')
- ''The Guardian'' reveals the advertisement Rupert Murdoch intends to run in British newspapers at the weekend apologising for ampquotserious wrongdoingampquot. (''The Guardian'')
- The actor Jude Law has filed a lawsuit against ''The Sun'' over allegations of phone hacking. (''The Independent'')
- 2011 Horn of Africa drought:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that 5 million people are at risk of developing cholera in Ethiopia, with the breakout of acute watery diarrhea. (Reuters)
- Mount Lokon on Indonesia's Sulawesi island erupts prompting thousands of people to flee. (CNN)
- Four pilgrims die when a boulder falls on them at a voodoo festival in Saut d'Eau, Haiti. (''Atlanta Journal Constitution'')
- A magnitude 6 earthquake occurs off the coast of Chile near Valparaíso. (CNN)
- A portion of the Zendstation Smilde in Hoogersmilde, Netherlands collapses in a fire. (CNN)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 15 July 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?