Friday 1 July 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer (see planets position on July 1, 2011). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Kailani Philippe Knapp .
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Policeman, directed by Nadav Lapid, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while State Of Wonder by Ann Patchett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Necessary Roughness.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation or Bumpy Road.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 July 2011
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 2011!
Which were the important events of 1 July 2011 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Kailani Philippe Knapp: American child, with noted mother, actress and model Alexis Knapp.
- The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights claims the Congo government troops raped 121 women between June 11 and 13 then pillaged their villages. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
- Arab Spring:
- 2011 Syrian uprising:
- Hundreds of thousands of people protest against the regime nationwide as the crackdown against civilians continues. (BBC)
- The death toll is reported to be at least 11 in Syria today. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- Rebels withdraw from the town of Bir al-Ghanam, 80km south of Tripoli after coming under rocket attack from forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi. (Reuters)
- Members at the African Union summit in Equatorial Guinea express annoyance at NATO's intervention in Libya over fears that it is only making the situation worse. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011 Bahraini uprising: Some expatriate Bahrainis are sent ampquotloyalty pledgesampquot in light of the uprising. (MSNBC)
- 2011 Yemeni uprising: Demonstrations are held in the capital Sana'a and across the country, while protesters in Ta'izz chant slogans against a possible Saudi Arabian intervention, ampquotTell Saudi Arabia that Yemen is a republicampquot and ampquotYemen is not Bahrainampquot, in reference to Saudi Arabia's suppression of the Bahraini uprising. (Al Jazeera)
- Freedom Flotilla II:
- Activists increase their guard of the remaining boats bound for Gaza following the alleged sabotage of other boats. (Al Jazeera)
- Greek authorities prevented a US-flagged vessel, ''The Audacity of Hope'',amp!--ampquotThe Audacity of Hopeampquot points to Obama's book of that title.--amp carrying dozens of U.S. activists, from departing for the Gaza Strip, towing it back to the port of Perama after commandos, reportedly carrying weapons, intercept it. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Leon Panetta is sworn in as the new United States Secretary of Defense, succeeding Robert Gates, and promises to maintain the ampquotexcellenceampquot of the U.S. military and to be a strong advocate for troops. (BBC)
- Albert II, Prince of Monaco weds Charlene Wittstock, the Olympic swimmer, at the royal palace Wittstock becomes Her Serene Highness, Princess Charlene. (BBC)
- ''Bank of Moscow'', the fifth largest bank in Russia, in record bailout of $14 billion, after the discovery that almost a third of the bank's assets are ampquotproblematic,ampquot the Central Bank of Russia said. (Moscow Times)
- A Bank of Japan survey shows that business confidence has fallen markedly since the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. (''Washington Post'')
- Manufacturing activity in the People's Republic of China is at its lowest level in more than two years after three successive months of falls indicating a continued slowdown. (''Financial Times'')
- The towns of Colman and Flandreau in the US state of South Dakota are hit by a heavy storm resulting in the loss of power for several days. (Argus Leader)
- The Yonhap News Agency reports that North Korea is tightening border controls with South Korea to stop defections. (Yonhap News)
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2011?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Motivation - Kelly Rowland Featuring Lil Wayne
- Sure Thing - Miguel
- I'm On One - DJ Khaled Featuring Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne
- My Last - Big Sean Featuring Chris Brown
- She Ain't You - Chris Brown
- Far Away - Marsha Ambrosius
- Unusual - Trey Songz Featuring Drake
- How To Love - Lil Wayne
- Look At Me Now - Chris Brown Featuring Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes
- So In Love - Jill Scott Featuring Anthony Hamilton
Top #10 Latin songs
- You - Romeo Santos
- Taboo - Don Omar
- Ven A Bailar - Jennifer Lopez Featuring Pitbull
- Te Amo y Te Amo - La Adictiva Banda San Jose de Mesillas
- Prometi - Intocable
- Give Me Everything - Pitbull Featuring Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer
- El Ardido - Larry Hernandez
- El Culpable - Espinoza Paz
- Ven Conmigo - Daddy Yankee Featuring Prince Royce
- Cuanto Me Cuesta - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
Top #10 Rock songs
- Rope - Foo Fighters
- Country Song - Seether
- You Are A Tourist - Death Cab For Cutie
- Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
- Adolescents - Incubus
- Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
- Help Is On The Way - Rise Against
- Lies Of The Beautiful People - Sixx: A.M.
- Rip Tide - Sick Puppies
- Sublime With Rome - Panic
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
Glenn Beck spent his final day at the Fox News Channel thanking his viewers and colleagues and promoting his new Internet channel, GBTV, to the best of his contractual ability. [..]
The challenge to a new Boeing plant in South Carolina by a union in Seattle has turned into a political firefight between the foes and partisans of organized labor. [..]
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $41.44
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $104.60
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $88.72
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $36.55
- 1 CHF = 7.6265 CNY
- 1 CAD = 6.7455 CNY
- 1 CAD = 0.884 CHF
- 1 AUD = 6.963 CNY
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?