Saturday 23 July 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
Cowboys & Aliens, directed by Jon Favreau, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while In The Garden Of Beasts by Erik Larson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Weekly Idol.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing The Binding of Isaac or Crimson Alliance.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 July 2011!
Which were the important events of 23 July 2011 ?
- Egypt - Revolution Day (1952)
- St. Liborius
- Catholic - the feasts of at least 2 saints: St. Apollinaris
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the birthday of Haile Selassie
- Roman Empire - Neptunalia held in honor of Neptune
- Libya - Revolution Day
- Papua New Guinea - Remembrance Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 23 July
- 2011 Norway attacks: The death toll from the shootings on Utøya and bombing in Oslo reaches at least 92. (AP via MSNBC)
- Anders Behring Breivik, the man arrested in connection with terrorism in Norway, reveals himself as to have anti-Muslim and right-wing extremist views, stating that the attacks were ampquotatrocious, but necessary.ampquot (''Daily Mail'')
- 2011 Syrian uprising: The United Nations says Syrian forces may have committed crimes against humanity amid the ongoing protests. (''Times of Oman'')
- 2011 Libyan civil war: Rebels claim to have fired rockets at a meeting of senior Gaddafi-regime officials in the capital Tripoli. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011 Mumbai bombings: The death toll from the attacks rises to 22. (''Times of India'')
- Gatluak Gai, a key South Sudanese rebel leader who signed a peace deal with the Sudanese government this week, is killed. (BBC)
- English singer Amy Winehouse, 27, is found dead at her London home. (News24)
- Workers at the Escondida copper mine in northern Chile vote to continue a strike for a second day. (AFP via France24)
- Two CRH bullet trains collide in near Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China, killing at least 35. (''New York Times'')
- 2011 Horn of Africa famine
- Unicef states that a child dies from malnutrition every six minutes (250 a day) in Somalia. (''The Sun'')
- Somalia's Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali accuses al-Shabab of preventing people from leaving the region in search of food as central government condemns militants from blocking aid workers. (Voice of America)
- Kim Sung-hwan, the South Korean Minister for Foreign Affairs, meets with Pak Ui-chun, his North Korean counterpart, on the sidelines of an ASEAN meeting in Bali, Indonesia. (Yonhap)
- Asylum seekers at the Scherger Immigration Detention Centre near Weipa in the Australian state of Queensland start harming themselves in protest. (AAP via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- News International phone hacking scandal
- Claims of phone hacking at the ''Daily Mirror'' and other Trinity Mirror publications are made by former ''Mirror'' journalist James Hipwell. (''The Guardian'')
- A gunman fatally shoots six people, including himself, and wounds four others in a shooting in Grand Prairie, Texas. (''The Guardian'')
- Daryoush Rezaei, an Iranian scientist, is shot dead outside his home in Tehran. It was reported that the scientist had links to the country's nuclear programme. (BBC)
- Nearly 4,000 employees of the US Federal Aviation Administration are furloughed due to Congressional authorisation for its programs lapsing. (FAA)
- Voters in Sri Lanka go to the polls for local elections, with one person dying in clashes between supporters of rival parties in the Anuradhapura district. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 23 July 2011
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Munich 1860 - Karlsruhe : 2 - 1
- Union Berlin - Greuther Furth : 0 - 4
Premier LeagueUK Soccer
- Aberdeen - St Johnstone : 0 - 0
- Motherwell - Inverness C : 3 - 0
- Rangers - Hearts : 1 - 1
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?