Friday 15 September 1916
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Margaret Lockwood and Frederick C Weyand.
The Mutiny of the Bounty, directed by Raymond Longford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1916
while When a Man's a Man by Harold Bell Wright was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1916!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1916 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Margaret Lockwood: British actress born in India, noted for her performances on stage and in film.
- Frederick C Weyand: Former U.S.
- Frederick Weyand: American military who rose to the ranks of General and was commander of US forces in Vietnam during the final year of the war.
- Isidore Edouard Legouix: Composer, dies at 82.
- 1st tank used in war, Little Willies at Battle of Flors, France
- World War I: Tanks are used for the first time in battle, at the Battle of the Somme.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1916 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- The Honolulu Blues - Peerless Quartet
- Through These Wonderful Glasses of Mine - Henry Burr & Albert Campbell
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?