Saturday 16 September 1916
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Yvette Giraud and George F Rodden.
The Mutiny of the Bounty, directed by Raymond Longford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1916
while The Real Adventure by Henry Kitchell Webster was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1916!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1916 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Yvette Giraud
- George F Rodden
- Willem Noordhoek: Photographer.
- MS Subbulakshmi: Indian singer (d. 2004).
- Frank Leslie Walcott: Barbadian labour leader (d. 1999).
- George Rodden: American business executive with Ford Marketing and weekend conductor of youth symphonies for 30 years.
- Robert Bradshaw: Caribbean politician 1st Prime Minister of Saint Kitts and Nevis (d. 1978).
- M Subbulakshmi: Indian singer and actress (d. 2004).
- Frank Walcott: Barbadian cricketer umpire and politician (d. 1999).
- Lord Ryder of Eaton hastings: CEO (International Publishing House).
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1916 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- There's Someone More Lonesome Than You - James F. Harrison & James Reed
- You're a Dangerous Girl - Al Jolson
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?