Sunday 17 September 1916
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Mary [Florence Elinor] Stewart and Ove J Abildgaard.
The Danger Girl, directed by Clarence G. Badger, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1916
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1916
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1916!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1916 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Mary [Florence Elinor] Stewart: United Kingdom -- Sci-fi author (Crystal Cave).
- Ove J Abildgaard: Danish poet (Uglegylp).
- Mary Stewart: English-Scottish author and poet (d. 2014).
- 40,000 Amsterdam demonstrators demand general voting right
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1916 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- You're a Dangerous Girl - Al Jolson
- There's Someone More Lonesome Than You - James F. Harrison & James Reed