Wednesday 15 September 1943
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Margaret Harris and Tommy Hall.
Sherlock Holmes Faces Death, directed by Roy William Neill, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1943!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1943 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Margaret Harris: American musical director, composer and pianist who served as the conductor of the hit Broadway musical "Hair" for the last two years of its run, 1970-1972, making her not only the first African American to conduct on Broadway, but also the first woman to do so.
- Tommy Hall: American jug player (The 13th Floor Elevators).
- Hans Ulrich Humpert: Composer, dies at 2.
- Benito Mussolini forms a rival fascist government in Italy
- Concentration Camp Kauwen in Lithuania opens
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?