Tuesday 15 September 1942
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rolim Amaro and Jiabao Wen.
Street of Chance, directed by Jack Hively, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 15 September 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1942!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1942 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Rolim Amaro: Brazilian flight commander and entrepreneur who rose from poverty to wealth.
- Jiabao Wen
- Laure Beauvau-Craon: French nobility, the wife of Marc, the last prince of Beauvau-Craon; and the brother of the artist, Gue de Rougemont.
- Lee Dorman: American bass player (Iron Butterfly and Captain Beyond) (d. 2012).
- Chelsea Quinn Yarbro: United States -- Sci-fi author (Hotel Transylvania).
- Ksenia Milicevic: French painter and architect.
- Philip Harris: Baron Harris of Peckham English businessman and politician.
- Phil Harris: English carpet manufacturer / multi-millionaire.
- Jack Singer: US war reporter (Wasp).
- US aircraft carrier Wasp torpedoed at Guadalcanal
- World War II: U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Wasp is torpedoed at Guadalcanal.
- Women's Flying Training Detachment (WFTD).