Sunday 16 August 1936
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1936). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Anita Gillette and Anita Gillette in Baltimore.
Swing Time, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
On TV people were watching Olympic Games.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1936
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1936!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1936 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Anita Gillette: American actress and singer.
- Anita Gillette in Baltimore: Maryland, USA; actress (Quincy Maine, Marathon, Moonstruck).
- Gary Clarke in Los Angeles: California, USA; actor (Hondo, Virginian, Michael Shayne).
- Alan Hodgkinson: English footballer and coach (d. 2015).
- 11th Olympic games closes in Berlin