Monday 16 August 1954
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include James Cameron and George Galloway.
In UK Cara Mia by David Whitfield With Mantovani & His Orchestra was in the top 5 hits.
Dawn at Socorro, directed by George Sherman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Toi et moi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1954
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1954!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1954 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- James Cameron: Canadian film director.
- George Galloway: Scottish politician, a Member of Parliament beginning with the General Election on June 11, 1987.
- Joshua Bolten: American political aide, named Chief of Staff on March 28, 2006 by President George W. Bush to succeed Andrew Card.
- Sports Illustrated magazine begins publishing
- 200 pilgrims drown in Farahzad Iran rain storm flood
- The first edition of Sports Illustrated is published.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1954 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?