Friday 16 October 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Down by Jay Sean.
Couples Retreat, directed by Peter Billingsley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Meet the Natives USA.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing 5 Spots Party or Battlestations: Pacific.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 October 2009!
Which were the important events of 16 October 2009 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 October
- Voters in Botswana take part in a general election. (Al Jazeera)
- The United States records a budget deficit of $1.42 trillion. (Bloomberg)
- Stephen Gately:
- The surviving members of Boyzone fly to Majorca to escort the body of Stephen Gately home to Dublin. (''The Irish Times'')
- The UK Press Complaints Commission's website crashes after receiving hundreds of complaints about a Jan Moir article in the ''Daily Mail'' concerning her views on the singer's death. Retailer Marks Spencer withdraws advertising and Nestlé disassociates itself from her writing. (''The Huffington Post'')
- Treaty of Lisbon:
- An opinion poll shows that 65% of Czechs support President Václav Klaus’ refusal to sign the Lisbon Treaty. (Wall Street Journal)
- A strong earthquake hits Indonesia, causing mass panic and evacuations in Jakarta. (CNN)
- The United Nations Human Rights Council endorses the Goldstone report on the Gaza War, accusing both Israel and Hamas of war crimes. (Al Jazeera)
- Five men are convicted in Sydney, Australia of plotting a terrorist attack. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- One part of Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) ends a three-month ceasefire and resumes attacks on the oil industry in Nigeria. (IOL)
- Guinea's civil service minister Alpha Diallo resigns after a massacre of opposition supporters, following agriculture minister Abdourahmane Sanoh who resigned days earlier. (IOL)
- The Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-Moon announces plans to establish a commission into the killing of unarmed protestors in Guinea last month. (AP via Google News)
- Australian pop singer, songwriter, and actress Kylie Minogue makes her Hindi cinema debut in ''Blue'', thought to be the most expensive Bollywood production ever. (''The Times'')
- At least seven people are killed and at least ten are injured in an explosion at a mosque, police station and passenger bus in Peshawar, Pakistan. (BBC)
- In Berlin, the reconstructed Neues Museum officially reopens after 70 years. (''The Times'')
- The MDC partially pulls out of the unity government with Zanu PF in Zimbabwe after one of their members, Roy Bennett is detained on terrorism charges. (Xinhua)
- Roy Bennett is later released from jail on bail, ordered by the High Court. (Associated Press)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 October 2009
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2009 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?