Sunday 16 September 1956
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Charles Fearing and Kevin R Kregel.
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
Attack, directed by Robert Aldrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while A Certain Smile by Francoise Sagan was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Circus Boy.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1956!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1956 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Charles Fearing: Rock guitarist (Raydio).
- Kevin R Kregel: NYC, New York -- Pilot / Astronaut (STS 70, 78, 87).
- Mark Daniel Gearan: Gardner, Massachusetts -- Campaign manager (Al Gore).
- Nick Banton: Founder (Body Positive).
- Peter Zaremba: Rocker (Fleshtones).
- David Copperfield: American magician, a natural-born showman world famous with his outstanding productions of some 500 live performances a year plus TV spectaculars. From the time he was ten he carried around tricks, though actually more fascinated with stage and theater than magic at that time. Persistent, a perfectionist and a workaholic, he is financially and critically successful. Forbes places him fifth in its list of the world's richest entertainers.
- Maggie Atkinson: English educator and civil servant
- Dave Schulthise: American bass player (The Dead Milkmen) (d. 2004)
- Marlene Bauer wins LPGA Clock Golf Open
- Television broadcasting commences in Australia.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?