Sunday 17 September 1944
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Mary Lou Crocker and Reinhold Messner.
Thunder Rock, directed by Roy Boulting, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1944!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1944 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Mary Lou Crocker: LPGA golfer.
- Reinhold Messner: Italian pioneer adventurer and film maker, leader of an expedition to climb the Mt.
- Carol Tavris: American social psychologist and author known for works exploring the themes of critical thinking, feminism and criticism of pseudoscience.
- Les Emmerson: Canadian singer-songwriter and guitarist (Five Man Electrical Band).
- Kussin: German General Major / commanding Arnhem, dies in battle.
- British Premier Winston Churchill travels to US
- Dutch begin railroad strike against German occupiers
- Operation Market Garden: British airborne division lands Arnhem Neth
- British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery launches Operation Market Garden, with 14 divisions. Nearly 2000 American CG-4A and 700 British Horga and Hamilcar gliders are launched from southern England, carrying the British 2nd Army and the US 101st Airborne Division. They land along 60 miles of road in Holland, leading into Germany. The objective is to capture bridges at Grave, Nijmegen, and Arnhem over the Rhine river.
- World War II: Allied Airborne troops parachute into the Netherlands as the ''Market'' half of Operation Market Garden.
- WWII: Operation Market Garden begins.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Helen Forrest & Dick Haymes - It Had To Be You
- And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine - Stan Kenton & His Orchestra (Vocal Anita O'Day)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?