Sunday 3 September 1944
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gary Leeds and Sherwood C "Woody" Spring in Hartford.
Arsenic and Old Lace, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while The Green Years by A. J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 September 1944!
Which were the important events of 3 September 1944 ?
- Gary Leeds: Glendale, California -- Rocker (Walker Brothers).
- Sherwood C "Woody" Spring in Hartford: Connecticut, USA; Colonel USA/astronaut (STS 61B).
- Valerie Perrine in Galveston: Texas, USA; actress (Steam Bath, Superman, Lenny).
- Alan Strachan: Scottish theater director, writer.
- Geoff Arnold: English cricketer and coach.
- Frantisek Alois Drdla: Composer, dies at 75.
- 58th US Womens Tennis: P Betz beats Margaret Osborne duPont (63 86)
- 68th and last transport of Dutch Jews (Anne Frank) leaves to Auschwitz
- Canadian troops liberate Abbeville, France
- French troops liberate Lyon
- Last transport from Westerbork to Auschwitz
- Prince Bernhard appointed Supreme Commander of the Netherlands Domestic Arm Force
- Tank division of British Guards free Brussels
- Frank Parker beats Bill Talbert for US tennis title.
- Holocaust: diarist Anne Frank and her family are placed on the last transport train from Westerbork to Auschwitz, arriving three days later.
- WWII: The Allies liberate Brussels.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1944 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Take It Jackson - Vaughn Monroe
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?