Saturday 16 September 1944
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Linda Kay Henning and Ard Schenk.
Thunder Rock, directed by Roy Boulting, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1944!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 16 September 1944 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Linda Kay Henning
- Ard Schenk: Dutch ice-skater.
- Daniel Feurtet
- Winston Grennan: Jamaican drummer (Kid Creole and the Coconuts and Toots and the Maytals) (d. 2000).
- Betty Kelly: Detroit, Michigan -- Rocker (Martha Reeves & Vandellas).
- Chuck Brinkman: American baseball player, a right-handed catcher who played with the Chicago White Sox between 1969 and 1974, and the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1974.
- Linda Henning: American film actress, TV actress and ballerina who played in minor roles.
- Gustav Bauer: German journalist and politician 11th Chancellor of Germany (d. 1944).
- Adolf Hitler meets with military advisors at Wolfsschanze in East Prussia. Hitler announces he will launch an offensive through the Ardennes, with objective being Antwerp, Belgium. The idea is to isolate the British, Canadian, and two American armies in the north, and force their surrender. The reduced strength of the US might then cause them to make peace, fearful of communist Soviet Union.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Helen Forrest & Dick Haymes - It Had To Be You
- And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine - Stan Kenton & His Orchestra (Vocal Anita O'Day)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?