Thursday 14 September 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joey Heatherton and Alain Kan.
Thunder Rock, directed by Roy Boulting, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1944!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 14 September 1944 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Joey Heatherton: American actress singer and dancer.
- Alain Kan
- Joey Heatherton in Rockville Center: New York, USA; dancer/actress (Bluebeard).
- Gunter Netzer: German footballer.
- John Frazee: American executive and CEO in charge of Centel, the fifth largest non-Bell affiliated communications company.
- Günter Netzer: German footballer and manager.
- 6,500 Dutch / Indonesian captives sent to Junyo Maru
- Gulpen, Meerssen and Maastricht freed
- Hurricane hits New England: 389 die
- US 28th Infantry division occupies 1.5 km of Roscheid
- US 4th Ivy League Inf division pushes through Westwall
- World War II: Maastricht becomes the first Dutch city to be liberated by allied forces.
- The Great Atlantic Hurricane makes landfall in the New York City area
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1944 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Hildegarde - Lili Marlene
- It Had to Be You - Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
- The Patty Cake Man - Ella Mae Morse
- Is You Is Or Is You Ain't (Ma' Baby) - Bing Crosby & Andrews Sisters
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?