Friday 1 September 1944
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Leonard Slatkin in Los Angeles and Leonard Slatkin.
Arsenic and Old Lace, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
On TV people were watching Missus Goes A-Shopping.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1944!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1944 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Leonard Slatkin in Los Angeles: California, USA; conductor (Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra).
- Leonard Slatkin: American conductor who has led the Minnesota Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony, the New York Philharmonic (1977-1979), the New Orleans Symphony, the St. Louis Symphony (since 1979), played at Carnegie and as a guest with the Dallas Symphony.
- Archie Bell: American singer-songwriter (Archie Bell & the Drells).
- Harvey Strosberg: Canadian lawyer and academic.
- Bulgaria government of Bagrjanow, resigns
- King George VI promotes Montgomery to field marshal
- WWII: In Bulgaria, the Bagryanov government resigns.
- The Holocaust: Diarist Anne Frank and her family are placed on the last transport train from Westerbork to Auschwitz, arriving 3 days later.
- ''¡Hola!'' magazine launched in Barcelona.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Dance with a Dolly (With a Hole in Her Stocking) - Evelyn Knight
- Mills Brothers - Till Then
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?