Thursday 21 September 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Susan Maureen Fleetwood and Fannie Flagg in Birmingham.
Thunder Rock, directed by Roy Boulting, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 September 1944!
Which were the important events of 21 September 1944 ?
- Mabon - Neopagan festival of Mabon
- International Day of Peace of the United Nations, as propagated by Peace One Day
- In ancient Greece, the eighth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the secret rites in the Telesterion finish and the feast, Pannychis, begins.
- Philippines - Thanksgiving Day
- Independence Day in Malta (1964), Belize (1981) & Armenia (1991)
- Also see September 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Matthew the Evangelist
- Susan Maureen Fleetwood: Scotland, United Kingdom -- Actress (Krays, Sacrifice).
- Fannie Flagg in Birmingham: Alabama, USA; actress/comediene (Candid Camera).
- Matt Aitch: American athlete, played pro basketball for one year in 1967.
- Marc Fiévet: French spy who worked in customs, best known for his undercover activities that brought down a major drug trafficking mafia.
- Susan Fleetwood: British stage, film and television actress, best known as a star of the classical theatre companies of England.
- Hamilton Jordan: American government official and White House Chief of Staff under President Jimmy Carter. The son of a prosperous insurance agent, he earned a degree in poli-science at the University of Georgia. In 1967 and '68 he served in Vietnam with the Volunteer Services. On his return to Georgia, impressed with Carter, he joined his team, becoming a wunderkind, flowering in the closeness of a mentoring relationship. A maverick strategist, he masterminded Carter's Presidential Campaign from the beginning i
- William Jordan: Charlotte Politician
- Steve Beshear: American lawyer and politician 61st Governor of Kentucky
- Marcus Binney: English historian and author
- Fannie Flagg: American actress and author
- Bobby Tench: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Gass Hummingbird Humble Pie and Streetwalkers)
- Artur Phleps: German Waffen-SS officer (Born 1881).
- Last British paratroopers at bridge of Arnhem surrenders
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Helen Forrest & Dick Haymes - It Had To Be You
- And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine - Stan Kenton & His Orchestra (Vocal Anita O'Day)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?