Thursday 20 July 1944
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Wim Van Drimmelen and Olivier Kersauson.
The Canterville Ghost, directed by Jules Dassin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 July 1944!
Which were the important events of 20 July 1944 ?
- St. Jerome Aemiliani
- St. Rufina
- St. Flavian
- St. Justa
- St. Margaret of Antioch
- St. Sabinus
- St. Joseph of Barsabas
- Brazil - Friendship Day
- St. Ceslas
- Argentina - Dfa del Amigo (Friendship Day)
- Japan - Marine Day (Umi-no-hi, currently it falls on the third Monday in July.)
- Northern Cyprus - Peace and Freedom Day
- Colombia - Independence Day
- Feast day for at least seventeen saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Aurelius
- St. Wulmar/Ulmar
- St. Severa1
- St. Barhadbesciabas
- St. Severa2
- St. Wilgefortis
- International chess day
- Wim Van Drimmelen: Dutch Secretary Science Council of Government policy.
- Olivier Kersauson: French sailor and sailing champion.
- Jon Peck: American journalist and noted family, the son of actor Gregory Peck and a reporter for KCOY TV station for six years.
- Patrick Ponsolle: French businessman, a member of the supervisory board of PAI Partners amd chairman of Morgan Stanley France.
- Alain Schol: .
- Arthur J Treadwell: English Mayor of Stoke Newington, dies at about 71.
- Brandt: Col / German staff chief, dies in bombing.
- Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg: Count / German antifascist Colonel.
- Heinz Burns: German (1936 Olympics - Gold Medalist), dies in bombing.
- Korten: Chief General of Germany Luftwaffe, dies in bomb explosion.
- Ludwig Beck: German colonel general, part of July 20 Plot (Born 1880)
- Mertz: German Colonel (July 20th plotter), executed
- Werner von Haeffen: German lieutenant (July 20th plotter), executed
- Friedrich Olbricht: German military man, an anti-Nazi who was a key conspirator in the July 1944 plot to kill Hitler. When the attempt failed, he was arrested and executed by firing squad 7/20/1944, Berlin.
- Mildred Harris: Cheyenne, Wyoming -- Actress (No No Nannette)
- British / Canadian troops occupy Hill 67 / Ifs / Bras / Frenouville, Normandy
- British Premier Winston Churchill flies to France to meet Montgomery
- Browns Nelson Potter is 1st pitcher suspended for throwing spitballs
- Death March of 1,200 Jews from Lipcani Moldavia begins
- Field Marshal von Kluge consults with German Commandant at Caen
- Flying Fortresses of US 8th Air Force attack Leipzig / Dessau
- Heavy storm hampers British offensive at Caen
- Japanese aircraft carrier Hijo sinks by US air attack
- July 20th Plot-Failed assassination attempt on Hitler
- Liberators of US 8th Air Force attack Gotha Russelsheim / Eisenach
- President FDR nominated for an unprecedented 4th term at Democratic Convention
- US 15th Air Force attacks Friedrichshaven Memmingen
- US invades Japanese-occupied Guam in WWII
- US President Franklin Roosevelt is nominated for an unprecedented fourth term at Democratic convention.
- World War II: Adolf Hitler survives an assassination attempt (known as the 20 July plot) led by German Army Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 20 July 1944
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- I'll Walk Alone - Martha Tilton
- Amor - Xavier Cugat & His Waldorf-Astoria Orchestra
- Louise - Russ Morgan
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?