Saturday July 01, 1944
US date format: 7/1/1944, UK date format: 1/7/1944
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on July 1, 1944). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Sophie Darel and Lew Rockwell.
Double Indemnity, directed by Billy Wilder, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of July 01, 1944?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- See more
- 2500+ killed in London / SE England by German flying bombs
- Earl Claus von Stauffenberg promoted to Colonel
- General Eisenhower visits front in Normandy
- Von Rundstedt against Keitel: Signs peace, idiots!
- See more