Friday 21 July 1944
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tony Scott and John Mills.
The Canterville Ghost, directed by Jules Dassin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 July 1944!
Which were the important events of 21 July 1944 ?
- St. Zoticus
- St. Victor of Marseilles
- St. Barhadbesciabus
- St. Arbogastus
- Catholic - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Praxedes
- Singapore: Racial Harmony Day
- Guam: Liberation Day (1944)
- Bolivia: Martyrs' Day
- Belgium: National holiday (1831 - inauguration of LTopold I, first king of the Belgians)
- Tony Scott: Director (Top Gun, Revenge, Days of Thunder).
- John Mills: Ghanaian lawyer and politician 3rd President of Ghana (d. 2012).
- Buchi Emecheta: Nigerian / English writer (Price of Bride).
- Paul Wellstone: American academic and politician (d. 2002).
- Gerrit van den Bosch: Led illegal Dutch CPN party, dies in Dachau.
- Henning von Tresckow: General Major, "July 20th plotter", commits suicide.
- Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg: German military officer and head of the failed 20 July Plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler (Born 1907).
- Ludwig Beck: German military, the Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces from 1935-1938.
- British Premier Winston Churchill flies to France, meets Montgomery
- General Koiso becomes Premier of Japan
- US forces land on Guam to get rid of Japanese invaders
- Von Kluge warns Hitler of impending collapse of front in Normandy
- American forces recapture Guam.
- American Marines land on Guam.
- World War II: Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg and fellow conspirators are executed in Berlin, Germany for the July 20 plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler.
- The Polish Committee of National Liberation is created.
- The Bretton Woods Conference ends with various agreements signed.
- ''United States v. Masaaki Kuwabara'',56 F. Supp. 716 (N.D. Cal 1944) the only Japanese-American draft resistance case to be dismissed on a due process violation of the U.S. Constitution.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- I'll Walk Alone - Martha Tilton
- Amor - Xavier Cugat & His Waldorf-Astoria Orchestra
- Louise - Russ Morgan
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?