Wednesday 19 July 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Emile Groisil and Commander Cody.
The Canterville Ghost, directed by Jules Dassin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 July 1944!
Which were the important events of 19 July 1944 ?
- According to sitcom Father Ted, previous events that occurred on July 19 included Galway being liberated by the Indians, Marathon was renamed Snickers and the Ice Age ended.
- St. Symmachus
- St. Machrina
- St. Arsenius
- Catholic - Feasts of St. Vincent de Paul
- Nicaragua - National Liberation Day
- Myanmar - Martyr's Day
- Malaysia - Birthday of Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Ng Sembilan
- Roman festivals - Lucaria
- Commander Cody: Singer / pianist ( & Lost Planet Airmen).
- Emile Groisil: French race horse jockey-driver.
- Michel Lecacheux: French race horse jockey, a harnessed trot racer who won the Prix de Vincennes in 1972 on Dinès P..
- Didier Levallet: French jazz double bassist, composer, arranger and leader.
- Tim McIntire: Actor (Bob Younger-Legend of Jesse James), dies at 42.
- Andres Vooremaa: Estonian chess player.
- 1,200+ 8th Air Force bombers bomb targets in SW Germany
- 500 15th Air Force Liberators / Flying Fortresses bomb Munich vicinity
- Allied troops occupy Faubourg de Vaucelles, at Caen
- Danish defiance fails on assault on Taarbaek Fort at Copenhagen
- Danish resistance fails on assault on Taarbaek Fort near Copenhagen
- Democratic Convention opens in Chicago
- Earl Claus von Stauffenberg visits RC church in Berlin-Dahlem
- General Bradley flies to England
- Japanese aircraft carriers Taiho / Shokaku sinks in Marianas
- New York Archbishop Spellman flies to Europe
- Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg 1st meets Eichmann
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Amor - Xavier Cugat & His Waldorf-Astoria Orchestra
- I'll Walk Alone - Martha Tilton
- Louise - Russ Morgan
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?