Tuesday 23 August 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) by Katy Perry.
The Cremator, directed by Juraj Herz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Girl Parts.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dirt 3 or Nicktoons MLB.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 23 August 2011 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 23 August
- 2011 Battle of Tripoli
- Heavy fighting continues in the Libyan capital Tripoli as Muammar Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam Gaddafi leads a counterattack despite earlier reports of his capture. (ABC News Australia)
- Rebels capture Muammar Gaddafi's Bab al-Azizia compound after heavy fighting. (BBC)
- Turkey claims to have killed 100 Kurdistan Workers' Party terrorists in bombing raids on positions in northern Iraq since last Wednesday. (Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review)
- Suspected Islamic insurgents kill two Thai Army soldiers and wound 14 other people in southern Thailand. (AP via Google News)
- The United Nations Human Rights Council orders an investigation into alleged human rights violations by the Government of Syria in the 2011 Syrian uprising. (BBC)
- At least one Palestinianis killed and several injured following an Israeli drone aircraft attack on Gaza shorty after an informal ceasefire was reached . (Al-Jazeera)
- Swiss bank UBS AG announces plans to cut 3,500 jobs. (''Financial Times'')
- Hurricane Irene reaches Category 2 strength as it hits the island of Hispaniola containing Haiti and the Dominican Republic. (CNN)
- A magnitude 5.8 earthquake strikes near Mineral, Virginia a nearby nuclear reactor is automatically shutdown due to the quake. This is the most powerful earthquake to hit Virginia since 1897. (''The Guardian'')
- Thailand says it will recognize the State of Palestine during its September bid at the United Nations General Assembly. (Ma'an News Agency)
- A judge in New York City rules in favour dropping sexual assault charges against former International Monetary Fund head Dominique Strauss-Kahn. (''New York Times'')
- President Obama provides temporary relief for illegal immigrants who are students, veterans, the elderly, crime victims and those with family, including same-sex partners, as part of immigration reform in the United States. (''New York Times'')
- An e-petition calling for the British Government to release of Cabinet documents relating to the Hillsborough disaster collects 100,000 signatures - enough for MPs to consider a House of Commons debate on the matter. It is the first government e-petition to reach the target. (BBC)
- News International phone hacking scandal
- The BBC reports that former ''News of the World'' editor Andy Coulson continued to receive a severance pay package from News International while working as Director of Communications for the Conservative Party. (BBC)
- Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny DuPree is declared the winner in the Democratic Party primary election in Mississippi, becoming the first black candidate to win a major party nomination in a gubernatorial race. (Clarion Ledger)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 23 August 2011
ConferenceFootball (United Kingdom)
- AFC Telford United - Lincoln : 1 - 2
- Barrow - Fleetwood Town : 4 - 0
- Darlington - Alfreton Town : 1 - 1
- Ebbsfleet - Newport County : 1 - 1
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?