Monday 29 August 2011
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) by Katy Perry.
We Need to Talk About Kevin, directed by Lynne Ramsay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Girl Parts.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Aliens Infestation or Dragon Age II.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 29 August 2011 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 29 August
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- The National Transitional Council in Libya raises concerns about mass killing of political prisoners by the former government. (AP via France 24)
- National Transitional Council fighters converge on Muammar Gaddafi's home town of Sirte. (Reuters)
- Several members of the Gaddafi family are reported as having fled to Algeria. (BBC)
- Stock, bond and commodities markets open as usual in the United States despite the impact of Hurricane Irene on New York City. (Bloomberg)
- Typhoon Nanmadol hits Taiwan after killing 11 people in the Philippines. (AP via Google News)
- Floods hit northern India with transport services disrupted in Mumbai and 15 villages isolated in Maharashtra state. (NewsxLive)
- The ruling Democratic Party of Japan selects a replacement for Naoto Kan as party leader and Prime Minister of Japan with current Minister of Finance Yoshihiko Noda winning the ballot. (''The Australian'')
- Baburam Bhattarai of the Unified Communist Party is elected as Prime Minister of Nepal by the Parliament. (''Himalayan Times'')
- Alexander Ankvab is elected President of partially recognized Abkhazia during elections held on August, 26. The elections are characterised by the Western media and independent observers as ampquotdemocraticampquot, but not recognized by Georgia. (Taz)
- Toomas Hendrik Ilves is re-elected by an electoral body to another term as President of Estonia. (Reuters)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 29 August 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?