Friday 31 August 1928
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include James Coburn and Solidarity (Polish trade union).
Our Dancing Daughters, directed by Harry Beaumont, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
while The Greene Murder Case by S. S. Van Dine was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1928!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1928 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Solidarity (Polish trade union)
- James Coburn: American actor, 6' 2", lean and lazily relaxed in variety of character roles from cowboy to master spy, maturing into sophisticated comedy as a rakishly elegant tough guy.
- Jeremy Stephen Maas: Writer / art dealer.
- James Coburn in Laurel: Nebraska, USA; actor (Our Man Flint, Magnificent Seven).
- Antônio Villaça: Brazilian writer, journalist, lecturer and translator.
- Jaime Sin: Filipino Cardinal Archbishop of Manila, prominent leader during the People Power Revolution (Born 1928).
- Brecht and Weils Dreigroschenoper premieres
- ''The Threepenny Opera'' () by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill opens at the Theater am Schiffbauerdamm, Berlin.
- Richard Byrd leaves New York for the Arctic.
- Zog I, Skanderbeg III, the President of Albania, is crowned as the King of Albania.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?