Monday 31 July 2006
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
Step Up, directed by Anne Fletcher, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Marley & Me by John Grogan was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Reader, I Married Him.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cake Mania or Dance Dance Revolution SuperNOVA.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 31 July 2006 ?
- St. John Columbini
- Republic of the Congo - Upswing of the Revolution
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Saint Ignatius of Loyola (founder of the Jesuits)
- St. Conrode (son of Leo and Kurt / El Gauchito Gil's former wife)
- St. Helen of Skofde
- La Hae Hawai?i - Hawaiian Flag Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 31 July
- Paul Eells: American sportscaster (Born 1935).
- New coins become legal tender in New Zealand, leaving the 5 cent piece redundant and reducing the weight of the 10, 20 and 50 cent pieces. (Blogger News Network)
- North Korea and South Korea exchange fire across the Demilitarized Zone. (USA Today)
- The UN Security Council unanimously adopted resolution 1697 (2006), which extends the UNIFIL mandate until 31 August 2006. The previous extension ended 31 July 2006. ( UN Resolution 1697)
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad told the Syrian military on Monday to raise its readiness, pledging not to abandon support for Lebanese resistance against Israel. (Reuters)
- Tony Blair and Arnold Schwarzenegger have announced their intention to collaborate to decrease carbon emissions and fight global warming. Their plan includes incentives for companies which limit their carbon emissions, among other carbon-limiting measures. Schwarzenegger has shown interest in a ban on excessive carbon emissions, which is directly in opposition to statements made by President George W. Bush. (AP)
- Incumbent Fradique de Menezes wins São Tomé and Príncipe's presidential election. (Reuters)
- 2006 Israel-Lebanon crisis:
- The Israeli Air Force has conducted airstrikes near Taiybe, Lebanon, despite claims that air strikes would be halted for forty-eight hours. (CTV NEWS)
- Condoleezza Rice, in Jerusalem, says that she is calling for a cease fire and put in place a multi-national peacekeeping force. (Israel National News)
- John Howard announces that he intends to stay on as Prime Minister of Australia until the 2007 election which he plans to contest as Leader of the Liberal Party of Australia. (CNN)
- NATO takes over command of operations in southern Afghanistan in Kandahar from a US-led coalition. (Channel News Asia)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?