Saturday 2 June 1979
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Hot Stuff by Donna Summer.
In UK Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel was in the top 5 hits.
The Game of Death, directed by Robert Clouse, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 June 1979!
Which were the important events of 2 June 1979 ?
- Italy's Festa della Repubblica (Republic Day), which commemorates the birth of the Repubblica Italiana and the end of the monarchy.
- Shavuoth (Judaism) (2006).
- Xenia name day in Slovakia.
- The Greek Orthodox Church commemorates Saint Nicephorus' death - see also March 13.
- Morena Baccarin: Brazilian-born American actress.
- Butterfly Boucher: Australian singer-songwriter guitarist and producer.
- Natalia Rodríguez: Spanish runner.
- Taavi Varm: Estonian artist.
- Jim Hutton: Actor (Ellery Queen), dies of liver cancer at 45.
- NASA launches space vehicle S-198.
- Pope John Paul II first official visit to his native Poland, becoming the first Pope to visit a Communist country.
- A blowout at the Ixtoc I oil well in the southern Gulf of Mexico causes at least 600,000 tons (176,400,000 gallons) of oil to be spilled into the waters, the worst oil spill to date. Some estimate the spill to be 428 million gallons, making it the largest unintentional oil spill until it was surpassed by the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in 2010.
- General elections are held in Italy.
- Joe Clark becomes Canada's 16th and youngest Prime Minister.
- Flight Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings takes power in Ghana after a military coup in which General Fred Akuffo is overthrown.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
- Peaches & Herb - Reunited
- Bee Gees - Love You Inside Out
- Sister Sledge - We Are Family
- Wings - Goodnight Tonight
- Randy Vanwarmer - Just When I Needed You Most
- Jacksons - Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)
- Village People - In The Navy
- Supertramp - The Logical Song
- England Dan and John Ford Coley - Love Is The Answer
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?