Wednesday 5 July 2006
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
Oborona Sevastopolya, directed by Vasili Goncharov, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Wisdom of Our Fathers by Tim Russert was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2006.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 July 2006!
Which were the important events of 5 July 2006 ?
- Isle of Man: Tynwald Day (1266).
- Venezuela: Independence Day (1811).
- Algeria: Independence Day (1962).
- Cape Verde: Independence Day (1975).
- Church of the SubGenius: X-Day (1998).
- Armenia: Constitution Day (1995)
- Czech Republic and Slovakia: Arrival of Saints Cyril and Methodius in Great Moravia (around 863).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 05 July
- Thirunalloor Karunakaran: Indian poet and scholar (d. 2006).
- North Korea launches at least two short-range Nodong-2 missiles, one SCUD missile and one long-range Taepodong-2 missile.
- Three members of the Tongan royal family are killed in a car accident in Menlo Park, California. (Palo Alto Online)
- China and Russia resist efforts by the United States and Japan to move a motion in the United Nations Security Council to impose sanctions on North Korea over its missile tests. (ABC News America)
- Light Sweet Crude futures close at an all-time high at $75.19/barrel, with an intraday all-time high of $75.40/barrel in New York. Analysts have downplayed the effect of North Korea's missile launch. (AFP)
- Former Enron executive Kenneth Lay has died of a heart attack at the age of 64. (KTRK)
- A North Korean state-run broadcaster states that his country is ready to cope with any provocation by the United States. (Associated Press)
- Casinos in the U.S. state of New Jersey have shut down for the first time in their history. The closure started at 8 AM Local Time, 1200 GMT, since the state's budget has not been decided, necessitating the shutdown of nonessential state offices, including casino regulators. (Associated Press)
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict (Operation Summer Rains):
- Israel's Prime Minister has allowed the IDF to expand its offensive in the Gaza Strip against the Hamas-controlled Palestinian government, in order to free the abducted soldier Gilad Shalit. (Reuters)
- Corporal Gilad Shalit and seven militants are reported to be ampquotliving off food hoarded in advance to spare the captors the risk of emergingampquot. (Reuters)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?