Tuesday 18 July 2006
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
The Merry Jail, directed by Ernst Lubitsch, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching World Series of Pop Culture.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Brothers in Arms: D-Day or North American box cover.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 July 2006!
Which were the important events of 18 July 2006 ?
- Uruguay - Constitution Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 July
- The ''SS Nomadic'', the last floating link to ''Titanic'', returns home to a large reception in Belfast.
- The government of Angola and the Frente para a Libertação do Enclave de Cabinda sign a peace agreement ending the Independence War in Cabinda. AngolaPress
- 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict
- Western governments evacuate their citizens from Lebanon any way they can. (CNN)
- Israel intercepts a rocket shipment from Syria to Hezbollah. (Ynet)
- The Nikkei 225 stock market index falls by 2.8 percent due to uncertainty in the Middle East. (Bloomberg)
- Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Olmert vows to keep fighting until the captured soldiers are released and Israeli citizens are safe. (ABC News America)
- The death toll from the July 2006 Java earthquake and the tsunami rises to 339. As scores of people are missing, the death toll is expected to keep rising. BBC
- A car bomb kills at least 15 labourers and wounds dozens in the southern Iraqi town of Kufa. (BBC)
- Dr. Anna Pou and two nurses from Memorial Medical Center in the U.S. city of New Orleans are charged with murder in connection with the possible mercy killings of 34 patients in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. (CNN.com)
- The United States House of Representatives fails to pass a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage with a 236-187 vote 47 short of the necessary two-thirds support needed to pass an amendment. (Washington Post)
- Tropical Storm Beryl forms off the coast of the U.S. state of North Carolina, 180 miles southeast of Cape Hatteras. It is the second tropical storm to form in the North Atlantic in the 2006 hurricane season. (NBC Wilmington)
- The Princess Cruises ship ''Crown Princess'' lists heavily, injuring several passengers. It immediately returns to Port Canaveral. (FoxNews.com)
- Turkey calls for Iraq and the United States to crack down on Kurdish guerrillas based in northern Iraq, and issued a veiled threat to attack the rebel bases if there was no progress. Meanwhile, the International Crisis Group releases a report entitled “Iraq and the Kurds: The Brewing Battle over Kirkuk” which examines the dangerously neglected looming conflict in and around the northern Iraqi city. ICG report
- On the first day of the 90th International Four Days Marches Nijmegen, two participants die of heart failure due to exhaustion caused by the exceptionally warm weather in the Netherlands. Because even higher temperatures are predicted for the second day, the organization decides to cancel the remainder of the event. (expatica.com)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 18 July 2006
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?